No video for this product.
Use Down Wash when your down equipment soaks up water
You should not wait until your down equipment is thoroughly dirty before cleaning it. The longer you leave it, the more damage you can potentially do to it. So as soon as you see that the outer surface of your down jacket easily absorbs water, you will know that there is a layer of dirt on the surface. Time to clean your jacket.
Down needs Down Wash a specialist cleaner
Down Wash is a safe product to use to clean down. If you choose the wrong cleaner, for example soap flakes, you might cause the dirt from the outer fabric to be re-deposited on to the down, which would kill its loft and insulation. And a conventional detergent may leave behind a residue of water-attractive detergent residue on both the outer fabric and the down, causing it to lose loft more quickly in damp conditions.
How you treat your down is as important as what you use
It is most important that down is thoroughly rinsed after washing, and very thoroughly dried. Even if you wash your item by hand, try to spin dry it using the highest speed. You can spin dry 2 or even three times, to get the maximum amount of water your down, and on the highest speed. Tumble drying is recommended; leaving down wet can ruin it completely.
Down Wash protects the loft of down in three ways
Firstly Down Wash removes body oils from the inside fabric and grime form the external fabric. Secondly, it cleanses the actual of down of dust and odours, and finally, it does all of that without removing the water-repellency of the outer fabric, so that the down is less vulnerable to rain and condensation.
Like all Nikwax products, Down Wash is safe to use
Nikwax takes great care to minimise the effect of Nikwax products on the environment and on you, the consumer. Nikwax avoids materials in its cleaners like palm oil, which may be sourced for unsustainable plantations.
Nikwax Down Wash is the product of choice, as used by professional Outdoor trainers.To find out more about people who are using Down Wash, and other Nikwax products, take a look at our testimonials page.
You can use Down Wash in a Wahsing Machine
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place item in washing machine (maximum 1 item).
- Use 150ml in medium/hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas.
- Wash according to care label, preferably on low setting and slow spin.
- Run at least one additional fast spin cycle after the washing cycle is complete.
Very large items can be washed by hand
- Use gloves. Immerse item(s) in hand-hot water in bowl or bathtub. For clothing use 150ml in medium/ hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas for 1-2 items.
- For sleeping bags use 150ml in 4cm deep water in a bathtub.
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
- Rinse clothing in cold water until water runs clear. For sleeping bags repeat process, drain and gently press bag to expel excess water.
- Sleeping bags can be transferred to a washing machine and spun slow twice, before a third or fourth fast spin.
Drying of Down items should ideally be finished in a tumble dryer
- Spin dry 3 times (slow spin).
- If care label allows tumble dry according to manufacturer's instructions on a low setting until 'clumps' have disappeared. Shaking and patting the item regularly during drying process will help restore loft to the down. Never pack up a down item until it has been aired for at least a day after drying in a warm and dry space.