DermaSilk Comfort Socks Short
DermaSilk Therapeutic Clothing is used in the treatment of various forms of dermatitis, eczema and allergic skin conditions that affect different areas of the body across all age groups.
DermaSilk Therapeutic Clothing is made of a special, knitted medical grade silk which has been stripped of its outer coating and bonded with Microbe Shield technology. It is far superior to cotton because it retains up to 30 % of its own weight in moisture without feeling damp.
DermaSilk is special in that it maintains a stable moisture balance on the skin whether its worn on warm or cold days. All the garments in the DermaSilk range are capable of absorbing moisture without causing irritation to the skin. Used as part of the normal treatment programme, DermaSilk helps reduce the terrible 'itch-scratch cycle' and because its special knitted construction allows the free movement of air through the fabric, this allows the skin to breathe more easily and promotes faster healing.
DermaSilk is not like any other silk garments that you can buy and other clothing made from standard shiny silk has not been shown in controlled clinical trials to perform in the same way as DemaSilk. Many claims are made by other manufacturers but only DermaSilk is clinically proven!
DermaSilk is coated with a patented antimicrobial shield, called AEM 5772/5, which has been used in hospitals for over 30 years and has proven ability to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth on fabrics such as operating theatre gowns. It acts by puncturing and electrocuting bacteria and fungi, causing their instant death. There is no chemical released from the silk to poison the cells and no chemicals or nano-particles are released onto the skin. No other antimicrobial is capable of protecting silk in this way.
No video for this product.
How does DermaSilk fit into the management of eczema?
Normal clothing protects us from the elements but can irritate sensitive skin and cause eczema to flare and itch. Despite this, cotton underwear remained the medical choice for eczema patients despite no evidence to support the advice.
If the eczema becomes severely flared nurses may use a bandaging technique called “wet” or “dry wrapping” to help bring serious eczema under control. These bandages have evolved over the years into vests and leggings and work very well if their usage is maintained. However, there are a number of drawbacks to their use which can make it difficult to maintain their use and they are very costly, both in terms of the actual costs of the garments and the time needed to correctly apply them.
So what is different about DermaSilk?
DermaSilk is the first in a new type of clothing – Therapeutic Clothing. It is designed to have a positive therapeutic effect on the wearer and in the case of DermaSilk it controls temperature and humidity close to the skin thereby reducing itch and irritation.
Treats all flares at once rather than individual flares
It is used as a preventative base layer of underclothing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, effectively replacing normal underwear and nightwear. Unlike wrapping garments it allows the skin to breathe and maintain a healthy microclimate so that the wearer will not overheat in summer or become too cold in winter. DermaSilk has natural anti-inflammatory properties and has been clinically proven to control the symptoms of eczema far better than cotton underclothing. Think of it as a second skin with the ability to control temperature, humidity and itch – just like normal intact skin does!
Built in natural moisturisers
DermaSilk has natural moisturising properties, no need to add softeners to the silk; it is smooth enough on its own! Consequently it needs only a small amount of emollient to be applied to the skin before it is worn so it is extremely easy to use and the garments will wash and wear repeatedly. In many cases the child will grow out of the garments before they are worn out! Less moisturiser also means less wear on the washing machine!
Free of potentially sensitising dyes
Whilst fashion might dictate designer colours it is comforting to know that DermaSilk only comes in its natural silk colour. No dyes are used in the manufacture which might provoke allergic reactions and the permanently bonded antimicrobial finish on the silk fibres protects them from contamination without sensitising the skin.
Soft seam technology
The DermaSilk designers have tried to think of everything. Even the soft seams have minimal stitching to prevent the thread from scratching the skin and on the smaller garments the seams are on the outside of the garments, just to make sure. The body suits have long mittens built in to allow the infant to stretch out their fingers and all poppers are nickel free.
Everyone can benefit from the therapeutic properties of DermaSilk Clothing.
- Children itch less, sleep better and are more alert during the day
- Parents get more concentrated sleep and have fewer battles with children and their medications
- Eczema flares are less severe and less frequent when wearing DermaSilk
- Fewer flares means fewer trips to the GP and possibly fewer hospital referrals
DermaSilk® Wear and Care Instructions
To get the real benefits from wearing DermaSilk Therapeutic Clothing, please follow carefully these instructions :
- DermaSilk Therapeutic Clothing is designed to be lightweight and body forming. It needs to be close fitting and in contact with the skin at all times to be fully effective.
- As with all natural fibres, DermaSilk will last longer if 2 or more garments are rotated in use rather than a single garment being washed and worn continuously.
- When used in combination with medical creams and ointments, care should be taken to ensure that the medication is fully absorbed into the skin before the DermaSilk clothing is worn.
- Do not use fabric softeners or conditioners.
- Do not bleach DermaSilk clothing as it will damage the structure of the fabric.
- DermaSilk clothing should preferably be hand washed using a mild non-biological (enzyme free) detergent, rinsed thoroughly and laid flat to dry on a towel
- Have a look at SkinSalveation washing powder which is a delicate, filler-free detergent designed to effectively clean without fuss.
- DermaSilk can be machine washed at 30 degrees providing it is placed in a net bag to protect the seams from tangling with other washing. Do not tumble dry DermaSilk as silk prefers to be humid rather than bone dry.
- Use a cool steam iron if necessary. If the garment goes out of shape it can normally be restored using this method.
- In areas with hard water the softness of DermaSilk can be restored as follows: After every 10 washes, soak DermaSilk clothing in a solution of 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda per litre of water overnight to maintain the softness of the fabric, then wash as instructed. This method can also be used for stain removal.
- Please note that the antimicrobial agent (AEM 5772/5) is bonded permanently into the silk and will not leach out of the fabric, even after numerous washes.