Nikwax Down Wash Direct 300ml
Nikwax, the global leader in outdoor aftercare, is excited to introduce Down Wash Direct®, the first aftercare product specifically designed to clean and maximise the performance of both regular untreated down and treated hydrophobic down. Down is a highly effective insulator, but quickly loses its insulation powers when saturated with water. Water-resistant down fills, such as Nikwax Hydrophobic Down (NHD)...
Nikwax, the global leader in outdoor aftercare, is excited to introduce Down Wash Direct®, the first aftercare product specifically designed to clean and maximise the performance of both regular untreated down and treated hydrophobic down.
Down is a highly effective insulator, but quickly loses its insulation powers when saturated with water. Water-resistant down fills, such as Nikwax Hydrophobic Down (NHD) technology, address this issue. Nikwax has developed the innovative Down Wash Direct to serve the expanding offering of treated, water-resistant down products.
With repeated use, dirt, oil, and other contaminants diminish the water-repellency of treated down and so to restore performance it requires special care. Down Wash Direct ensures optimal results by cleaning effectively, revitalising insulation, and restoring the water-repellency of hydrophobic down clothing and sleeping bags.
It also improves the water-repellency of regular down, with tests revealing untreated down absorbs almost 40 times less water after just one wash in Down Wash Direct. Additionally, it ensures the water-repellency of the down item’s outer fabric is maintained or even improved.
Like all Nikwax products, Down Wash Direct is PFC-free and water-based for the lowest environmental impact. In addition, Nikwax only works with down processors that are committed to ethical sourcing.
- Easy to apply in a washing machine or by hand
- WaterBased, fluorocarbon-free & environmentally responsible
- Prolongs the life of gear and optimises outdoor performance
- Down Wash: Revitalises loft and insulation, without damaging the structure of the down
- Maintains breathability and original water-repellency
You can use Down Wash in a washing machine.
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place item in washing machine (maximum 1 item).
- Use 150ml in medium/hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas.
- Wash according to care label, preferably on low setting and slow spin.
- Run at least one additional fast spin cycle after the washing cycle is complete.
Very large items may be washed by hand.
- Use gloves. Immerse item(s) in hand-hot water in bowl or bathtub. For clothing use 150ml in medium/ hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas for 1-2 items.
- For sleeping bags use 150ml in 4cm deep water in a bathtub.
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
- Rinse clothing in cold water until water runs clear. For sleeping bags repeat process, drain and gently press bag to expel excess water.
- Sleeping bags can be transferred to a washing machine and spun slow twice, before a third or fourth fast spin.
Drying of Down items should ideally be finish in a tumble drier
- Spin dry 3 times (slow spin).
- If care label allows tumble dry according to manufacturer's instructions on a low setting until 'clumps' have disappeared. Shaking and patting the item regularly during drying process will help restore loft to the down. Never pack up a down item until it has been aired for at least a day after drying in a warm and dry space.